When working with the deepAfrica team, George, our team leader, came up with a fun way for the team to maintain basic office etiquette. Rules like getting late to work or meetings, leaving a messy kitchen after a snack, leaving the lights on or swearing would earn you a penalty of 100 Kenyan Shillings (BTW, "Red" is an old slang word for 100 Shillings)
The way that you would be reported for a penalty is someone taking a picture as evidence of the offence. Reported offenders would need to pay the fine within 24 hours of it being reported. Evidence of payment would be required and this would involve someone else other than the offender taking a picture of the offender paying the money in the RedX jar.
At the end of the month, the total amount in the jar would be calculated and the winnings awarded to the person with the least offences in the office.
The whole premise of RedX is trying to help people in the office be more disciplined by awarding the ones with the most discipline and penalising the ones who are not very disciplined. All while not requiring any direct supervision from a leader since the team monitors itself.
We used a WhatsApp Group as the way to manage the offences and payments and would post pictures of the offences and people paying their fines.
Managing this system manually had a couple of challenges:
To address these challenges, I was asked to design an app that would help the team:
Since the RedX concept had been run for several years using a WhatsApp group, The first step I took in the design process is to hold a brainstorming session with the team to understand the functionalities that were most critical for the first iteration. We agreed that the features were:
I also came up with user personas for the different users that would be using the application:
I thereafter did a few sketches (pictured here) and got feedback from the team on whether they captured the spirit of what we wanted to design. The team agreed with the concept and I proceeded with higher fidelity designs.